Thursday 15 July 2010

The Tent, the Bucket & the 2010 World Cup Final

I did it, for the first time in 25 years I bought a book. At an airport, too, full price and all. Wandering around WHSmiths looking for something to occupy me for a 10 hour flight, I kept seeing 'Book of the Month' signs and a noticeably colourful section containing Emma Kennedy book about someone called Wilma Tenderfoot. Though sorely tempted, purely due to the fact I follow @EmmaK67 on twitter, I couldn't bring myself to buy it, it's a kid's book, and I'm not a kid. However, I kept getting strangely drawn to it, having witnessed Emma's tweets about writing. So, after walking round several times, picking up and then discarding puzzle books and not being interested enough in any of the 'celebrity' autobiogs, I spotted one of Emma's other books - The Tent, The Bucket and Me. Dawn French says it's laugh out loud funny, yeah right, I thought. Oh well, I'll give it a try. I used to be able to read, I'm sure I can do it again....

I do have several books, won in various competitions, or given to me by well-meaning relatives. Each one is in pristine, unread condition on a bookshelf at home, or wrapped up and put away in a box somewhere. It is a departure from the norm for me to actually leaf through a book, spoiling the newness, but as soon as I read the first page I knew this book was going to be 'spoilt' and would never look pristine again. I was taken there, to Emma's childhood, reliving those wooden toilet seat episodes. We never camped, Mum wouldn't, but we spent many hours in our old cars, sometimes parking up and sleeping overnight in a harbour car park or something, with me spread across the back seat while my parents struggled to sleep in non-reclining seats. Reading the book took me back to those days.

I have no idea why I decided to treat this book to such a journey. I took a photo of it on the plane. You can even see a hostess leg on this one. I ignored the in-flight films, couldn't even tell you what any of them were. No, I was going to give this book my full attention. I was actually going to read it. I knew I wasn't going to be comfortable enough to sleep, I can never sleep sitting up anyway. I continued to read until I was embarrassed into turning off my reading light because everyone else was in darkness. I wasn't aware that I did laugh out loud, but apparently I did. Sniggered, so I'm told.

So - we arrived at our destination, went to hotel room, slept. Next day I made sure I had space in my bag for the book and ...... took it to the World Cup Final with me. Yes, the Fifa 2010 World Cup Final, Soccer City Stadium, Johannesburg. High altitude, nose bleeds, security guards everywhere I turned, vuvuzelas buzzing in my ears. Yes, really. I have the photographic evidence to prove it.

I am now writing in this blog in the hope that the lovely author will take pity on me, send me a brand new copy, sign it for me to thank me for taking the now dog-eared one on such a massive journey. Then I can have one to wrap in plastic and give pride of place on my bookshelf.

I may even buy the sequel next year. Watch this space, I will take it somewhere special.

2 comments:

  1. HI Jan

    You brought a snigger from me just reading this post.

    So glad you were able to make such a trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't get a signed one, but Emma did read the blog!

    ReplyDelete